It’s Time to Catch the Summer Generosity Bug! It’s Contagious
Are your kids like mine? Do they love an adventure? Do they love something sneaky? Do they love to get right up against the line of boundaries? And do they also go stir-crazy during the summer months?
If you answered YES, then we are going to get along just fine!
I believe our kids are more capable than we know and they are just waiting for a challenge. They will rise up when given the chance. I also believe my kids and yours learn much faster through experiences versus lectures. They learning by watching us – especially when we invite them to join us.
So, let’s use our summer and that extra energy and time to instill generosity deep in their hearts. If you are new here, you can learn how this idea of “light em up” began as a Christmas program here. And, now this awesome community of moms is expanding this idea year round. Search #lightemupacts on social media and you’ll see!
Here are 25 simple ways to light up your community this summer.
1. Have a FREE ice cream stand
2. Have a lemonade stand – take donations for your church or ministry
3. Take cold drinks to anyone working outside (construction site, postman, etc.)
4. Take cold popsicles to anyone! Public beach, pool, park, kids getting off bus, city bus as they and get off, etc.
5. Send one anonymous note every week
6. Tape quarters to meters in town
7. Sidewalk chalk messages onto neighbors’ sidewalks as a surprise greeting
8. Free car wash for neighbors
9. Treat YMCA, gym or childcare workers to fun summer treats
10. Free dog washes
11. Hide money in the dollar store for kids to find
12. Buy gas for one unsuspecting stranger
13. Surprise daddy with an ice cream treat at work or leave notes in his car
14. Ask your school what the kids can do to clean or work on the school over the break
15. Send teachers a note saying “I miss you”
16. Set up a free breakfast station at end of street – passing out free treats as neighbors leave in the morning
17. Spray off a neighbor’s porch
18. Mow someone’s lawn
19. Host a slip-n-slide party
20. Take coolers full of cold treats to the beach – give to anyone!
21. Bless others on a road trip – leave money at gas stations, etc.
22. Ask church if you can pass out frozen treats after church
23. Pack bags full of free food and pass out all over city to homeless until you run out
24. Clean up for one tired mama
25. Make a fan – it’s cool to be kind!
Need the Free Printables NOW?
We have found that when you attach the treat with an extra note, the impact after they walk away is powerful. Often, our kids cannot say too much. They can pass it and smile. These tags can communicate what is on our hearts and leave an impression that encourages others to pass it on.