#thebestyes, #ifgathering, #ifequip, #ifpray, #iftable
You guys! There is SO MUCH content and good stuff going on around this world – it makes my head almost explode. And, for heavens sakes, I am one of the hyperactive contributors. I get overwhelmed and then I am so thankful – we have never had more opportunity at our fingertips – but it takes great discernment. When to hear God – to know if it’s for us. Is it a YES or a NO? or a MAYBE?
Can I go ahead and let you pass on this one if it’s not for you?
This post is for…
– Women in Orlando … or…
– Those having trouble saying yes/no
If you don’t fit in those categories, close it down. Don’t fill your mind with things you don’t need. Come back another day!
Like many of you, I see so many great things out there. And I truly struggle with how to respond…
No Thank You.
Yes I’d love to but… here’s all I have to give.
I’m not alone in my struggles. It’s why Lysa’s book The Best Yes went straight to The New York Times Bestsellers list. I may be extra looney and passionate (sharing 100 more ideas than necessary), but women are friends with the word YES. We like to do things and help and love and serve. We like to be a part of something bigger.
I get trapped here, “if it is good and noble and Godly, then I should say YES!”
So imagine my trouble with watching IF Gathering explode! This ministry just keeps tugging at my heart during the busiest season of my life. Why can’t I just say NO!
I keep trying to search my heart. Ask God.
- Do I like this because I think the entire leadership team is awesome?
- Do I want to do this because it’s cool?
- Do I truly feel a tug from above to partner with this ministry?
As I have listened to Jennie Allen continue to cast vision – I have determined I can’t say NO. The tug hasn’t gone away. I want to be apart of what they are doing. For many reasons.
The mission of IF is to gather, unleash and equip the next generation of women to live out their purpose.
They are absolutely sold out to the Lord’s will vs getting famous or making it about their personal platforms.
They are about the local church and local community.
So, I said YES and NO.
A group of 5 of us got together – who never met in our lives. Seriously, we met via the IF map – dots near Orlando. All feeling the tug that we were supposed to do something for Orlando. We didn’t know the answers or how or why or what – but we said a baby YES. We went to dinner.
We prayed together and brainstormed. We shared our common hurt and concern for women in our city that fall through the cracks. Those that are lonely – don’t know where to plug in – feel lost and need community. And we created a page to simply just start somewhere. Another small yes.
We shared our own stories and how LOCAL community was often where significant change happens. (Edited from before to clarify). I get comfortable sometimes in a silo – staying online, or reading books, or texting with best buds. Change can happen that way too for sure. I do believe omething really powerful happens when I get face-to-face with other women. Locally seems to best so the relationship continues to grow. And, you are there for each other for the messy and hard parts of life.
As I came home from that meeting, I sensed God confirming my small YES. However, this week, I woke straight up in bed – only to lay there with IF on my heart and mind for two hours. I laid there and dreamed of all the things it could be in Orlando, and then got overwhelmed at the reality of my time. So, I asked God about it. He answered. A small yes.
I made a hard phone call to Joy (one of the original 5) and told her YES, but NO – my time, family, health and own company could not allow for me to take on too much.
I told her I had a small YES. Here’s what I can do – here’s what I cannot do.
It’s all I have right now and that has to be enough.
I believe God shows up when we give what He asks and we are obedient.
Three Final Questions
1. If you are feeling tugged by IF and live in Orlando – we’d love for you to come on September 23 to the Prayer Gathering. We will be praying for our city, the women we know and don’t know and more. We are letting God lead this. Don’t be scared. You don’t have to pray out loud. It’s a group of women gathering with a small yes – when we don’t totally know where it’s headed.
Small steps of obedience with great change in mind – change in women of Orlando to know their God more closely.
2. If you are a women searching for community in Orlando – come join us. You can come too. You aren’t signing up to lead – just come pray with us and we will find a place for you to get plugged in with some other women.
3. If you struggle with saying YES and NO – will you learn from me? I am 38 and just now (sort of) getting this. I’ve said YES for way too long and paid the price. It is so much easier to be up front with your limitations. But please take time to listen to God’s nudges.